Thursday, April 06, 2006

Team America: Week 2 Report


Team America plays in the intermediate indoor volleyball league for the Chicago Sports and Social Club every Thursday night.


I’d like to lead-off with the fact that Sarah was perfect. On top of that, Ali hit through double blocks all night. And now that we’re done talking about Jim & Stroh’s swinger party last night, on to volleyball…

Improvement is the word of the week. We won our first game in the new league last Tuesday. Unfortunately that was the only game that we won, so we still ended up losing the match. I suppose that makes improvement a relative term, like health and Cubs pitchers, or sobriety and Whitney Houston.

To be honest, I never really felt like I had my head in the game. I suppose it could have been the early seven o’clock start, but more likely it was the fact that I got held up at work till 6:30. That obviously explains why I shanked multiple swings and a set during the game. Luckily everyone else stepped up and was able to put us in a position to win.

Sarah did a great job bringing us back in the second game, rattling off half a dozen points or more to get us the lead. Ali also did hit through double blocks, which is more than I can say for Steve, since every time I set him he ended up hitting into a single block. That of course is better than me, but let’s be honest, the net is just like one really big, wide blocker right?

Anyway, after discussions after the game, it seems as though a consensus has emerged.

1) We need to react faster

2) We need to be more selfish when it comes to the ball.

Hopefully playing on Sunday mornings now and again will help that. I definitely agree with the rest of the team, we’ll only get better as the league goes on.

Now I leave you with this though:

Pi is not infinite. It stops when Chuck Norris tells it to.

No comments: