Thursday, February 09, 2006

Two'fer

First Point: I've become that guy they make bad sitcoms about, or worse yet, movies that Jimmy Fallon would be in.

So, I was supposed to go to the gym last night but instead I got hung up at work and didn't make it home till later than expected. Now, I did make it home in time to change and immediately run out the door to the gym, but instead I sat down on my couch. The next thing I know I'm pulling my face away from the drool that's pooling up on my leather and realize that the class has already started and there's no chance I'm going to make it to the gym.

Instead I decide to catch up on some TV that I had missed and decided to do an emergency load of laundry. Now, the driers in my building suck, unfortunately they didn't suck enough to dry my clothes. Long story short I wake up this morning to still damp laundry. This is most unfortunate since all of my boxers were in there. Now, facing this situation most men would either A) put on damp boxers, B) wear the boxers they were already wearing, or C) go commando. I instead go for hidden option D) Microwave your boxers until they're dry. After two minutes those boxers were perfect and I haven't felt that good on a winter morning commute in years.

Second Point: I've somehow avoided having to celebrate major holidays, birthdays and Valentine's day with a girl for over six years.

That fact is at once a source of pride and of anxiety. Sure, for the past six years when my buddies have tried to figure out what to get their girlfriends I've been able to sit back, relax and laugh. Now in the last four months I get blindsided by love and a girl that's pretty good (some would say f-ing awesome, and I would be one of them), and I've celebrated Christmas, New Year's, a birthday and now Valentine's Day.

Thankfully Clare doesn't like celebrating Valentine's Day, which is nice, but I still can't help but feel a little rusty when it comes to this stuff. Seriously, how do you know what to give when? The last thing I want to do is rush things or come up short. Oh well, I suppose we'll just figure these things out as we go. In the meantime I hope Clare is looking forward to the dinner I'm making for Tuesday night.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Oh, honey - a Rush CD, A Too Short CD and haggis? No need to worry - those are my three favorite things! It's almost like you read my mind. However, you may want to check out the Harriet Carter catalog if the haggis is out of stock at the market. (I mean, what says Valentine's Day better than haggis?)

And it's really not a trap. Valentine's Day is meaningless when you feel as loved as I do EVERY day. :) (Yeah, it's mushy, what are you going to do about it??)

Maegan & Kayo said...

Haggis... ugh. I've actually seen people eat that. It was just as nasty as it sounds. Maybe the HC catalog has a hamster in a haggis delivery truck or something.

Love the mushy, embrace the mushy...

Mrs. Ezell said...

Don't fall for it...every girl wants something on V-Day!! E-mail if you need specific suggestions from the harriet carter catalog. Maybe there's some sort of afghan with an inspirational saying knitted into it, or perhaps a figurine with Clare's birthstone (the garnet i.e. fake ruby). Let me know...I'm like the Ace hardward guy...I can help!